Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe - Anzac Biscuits

How could you not smile at chocolate
smiley faces?
Anzac Biscuits are an Australian childhood favourite. They are an incredibly easy biscuit to bake. They are regulars at outings or events where one feels the need for a quick dose of sugar to keep them going.

These biscuits have become my signature dish. Given that it is Australia Day, I thought that I would share this recipe. Unlike commercial Anzac Biscuits, this recipe produces a firm, yet chewable biscuit so you do not need to worry about breaking a tooth anytime soon.

Like other recipes I have posted so far, I have deviated from the original. The original recipe came from my mother's Good House Keeping recipe book. Whilst I am a fan of the original recipe, I have made two small tweaks. Firstly, I have omitted 1 ounce of chopped walnuts. Secondly, I have added an extra teaspoon of golden syrup to counteract the bitterness of the bicarbonate of soda.

Once baked, I like to personalise these cookies, by drawing smiley faces on them with melted dark chocolate. Because these are rustic cookies, I use a small spatula as a ‘paintbrush’ rather than piping the melted chocolate. I used to use a spoon, but have found that the spatula is easier to work with.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Darkbyte xxx


Anzac Biscuits

Ingredients:
4 oz butter
1 1/4 tbsp. golden syrup
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp. water
3 oz plain flour
8 oz caster sugar
3 oz desiccated coconut
4 oz rolled oats

Method:
1. Heat oven to moderate (350 degrees F)
2. Grease two baking sheets
3. Melt the butter with the golden syrup in a saucepan, then cool for a short time
4. Add the bicarbonate of soda blended wit the water
5. In a bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients
6. Gradually stir in the contents of the saucepan, blending well
7. Roll the mixture into walnut sized balls and place on the baking sheets allowing room for spreading
8. Bake in the center of the oven for 12-15 minutes
9. Cool slightly before removing from the sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...